Wednesday, May 31, 2006

BON ECHO!

This subject has probably been blogged to death already, but anyway, here's my update on installing the new beta for Firefox 2, Bon Echo (apparently continuing the tradition of naming Firefox betas after public parks). First of all here's the link.

I was a little hesitant as I usually am with Beta releases but so far is working quite well, and handy on several levels for my Google work. There are some small new default settings, that I had already changed in the original, such as opening new links to tabs and stuff: but on to the bigger stuff---

    SPELL CHECK!- quite handy, highlights in red just like Word in any text boxes

    Improved search engine ordering, and auto complete Google/Yahoo search with suggestions. (ironically seen complaints, that it's hard to setup for MSN... big surprise!)

    Restoration of Browser Sessions after crash- biggest benefit for me so far, being a huge multitasker, who keeps crashing browsers (currently have 5 windows, 3 tabs, itunes, email, AIM open among other things as I type this) is that automatic restore of browsing session after crashes.


Other than that, check out the other features on the link. only problem I had so far was that prefbar isn't compatible, and had minor issues getting Flash reinstalled.
Other than that I'd give it a 8/10 so far, good for being a beta.

One other major difference I noticed, is I don't have the problem with it "hanging up"/freezing for a few secs very frequently as I had with the original Firefox. That was a pain streaming music, while I had too much open, and it would freeze/repeat in midstream... haven't had that yet with Bon Echo. Oh and one more thing, nicely compatible with bookmarks/passwords from Firefox, as to be expected I guess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sweetness. i'll have to check this out tomorrow.